by dcronin
 on 02. Sep 
goto PostPowell(3)
 by frank
 on 12. Dec 
goto PostPatrick Burke(3)
 by joe
 on 16. Sep 
goto PostPictures --Trees---Carden History(1)
 by joe
 on 17. Mar 
goto Postmickeyryan2(4)
 by joe
 on 01. Jan 
goto PostTully-Black-Burke(5)
 by joe
 on 05. Dec 
goto PostHolder--Teel(9)
 by joe
 on 06. Oct 
goto PostRE: Horncastle (ghost hamlet)(1)
 by clay70
 on 28. Jul 
goto PostJames R Calback--Grace Lewis(0)
 by joe
 on 28. Jul 
goto PostJack Mulally(0)
 by joe
 on 01. Apr 
goto PostFountain Confusion(3)
 by joe
 on 19. Oct 
goto PostPatrick McNaney and Mary Marren(5)
 by joe
 on 19. Oct 
goto PostRE: Finn Child Adoption(3)
 by mgear
 on 18. Aug 
goto PostMessage Board(1)
 by joe
 on 17. Jul 
goto PostDalyrimple Families(1)
 by joe
 on 19. Jun 
goto PostMarren(2)
 by mart
 on 11. May 
goto PostFinn --Burke(15)
 by mart
 on 11. Feb 
goto PostEagleson(1)
 by mart
 on 12. Jul 
goto PostGeorge Fountain(0)
 by Sharon155
 on 13. May 
goto PostCarden Schools(2)
 by mart
 on 05. Apr 

[Access Forum] http://selenhome.com/ самая дорогая и самая дешевая недвижимость в испании.

FORUMS
Category Carden Message Board
  Category Old Posts

Carden Roots  

Search Box  

Login  

New User? Sign Up!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mgear
Post subject: Finn Child Adoption  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2009 - 02:32 PM

Can anyone help me find my grandmother? My grandmother's name, based on my mother's adoption record, is "Margaret Finn". I have 5 pictures in the "PHOTO ALBUM"(left center) of this site in the album called "Pictures from the Message Board" to aid you.

My mother was born 11/10/1926 as Geraldine Tracy Finn, probably in Michigan, but I have been unable to find a birth certificate. Her adoption record iis also in that album

My mother, Patricia Louise Minnis, always suspected she was adopted. However, she died never knowing for sure.

As you can see from the adoption record, my mother's birth name was Geraldine Tracy Finn. Moreover, her adoptive parents were Kathleen (Carroll) and William (LaFrance) Minnis. William (1896-1956) is the son of Margaret Louise Burke (1876-1959) from Carden. She married John LaFrance and they had two children, Florence and William. The family moved to the US and Saginaw in 1897. John LaFrance died in 1902 and Margaret married Harry Minnis in Saginaw in 1905. (The picture of the older couple is Margaret Burke and Harry Minnis).

I knew my presumed grandparents (Kathleen and William) very well. They had no children of their own and would not have adopted a child who was not related to one of them. Based on baby pictures, Kathleen and William took custody of Patricia (Geraldine) at about 10-12 months and then adopted her in 1931.

The picture with the woman and child, is Kathleen and Patricia, at about age 9. The picture of couple, girl, and baby is Kathleen and William Minnis, Patricia at about age 16, and the baby is unknown. I think this picture is about 1942.

I know that two of Margaret Burke's sisters married Finns. I know that Florence and Mabel Finn were in Saginaw in 1926 and for a time stayed with their Aunt Margaret Burke LaFrance Minnis.

ANY information on Margaret Finn would be appreciated.

Also, the fifth picture has two pictures in it. One has the names Florence and Kathleen on it. Kathleen is Kathleen Minnis. I believe the Florence is either Florence Finn, or Florence LaFrance Minnis, William's sister. Does anyone recognize this Florence. I estimate this picture was taken in about the late 1940s.

Michael Gear

Reply with quote Back to top
mart
Post subject: Finn Child Adoption  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 - 10:11 AM
Site Admin

How do I select different pictures in the "Carden Albums"
Click on what ever picture shown in the Carden Album window(left)
Then click on All Pictures in the top left
Then select the album you wish to view
Click on which method you wish to view the album
Stop where you wish and double click
and that picture will be enlarged and a description of that picture will show

mgear
Post subject: Finn Child Adoption  PostPosted: Jun 17, 2009 - 01:08 PM

I have had maternal line DNA tests done. There were no matches to either of the materal line descendants of Catharine (Tully) Burke. This means that I am not related to her, Mary Ann (Burke) Finn, or any of their maternal line descendants.

Nevertheless, the adoption record states my grandmother was Margaret Finn and she named her child Geraldine Tracy Finn. If anyone has any information, it would be appreciated. I remain convinced that my presumed grandparents William (Bill) Minnis (son of Margaret Burke and John France) and Kathleen Carroll would not have adopted someone who was not related.

Michael Gear

mgear
Post subject: RE: Finn Child Adoption  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2009 - 09:11 AM

I have learned what happened to Florence France, daughter of Margaret Burke and John France, and brother of William (Bill) France (later Minnis). She was born in Toronto in 1894 and came with the family to the US in 1897. They settled in Saginaw, MI. Florence married James Leo Cahill in 1915. (At this point she was using the last name Minnis, her stepfather's last name.) Florence and James had two children, but Florence died in 1917 about three weeks after the birh of her second child. The children were Harry and Ralph.

Michael Gear

Jump to: